Friday, January 25, 2013

Queen Bee Makes Bee Sting Cake

I don't know about you but I am longing for warmer weather.  Unfortunately it looks like winter is going to be here for a couple more months.  However, that doesn't mean I can't break out my summer cookbook and pretend it's 80 degrees! 
 
 
This cookbook cover pretty much sums up why I miss summer.  Wouldn't you like to live in that farmhouse on the cover?!  I would! While I was paging through this cookbook one recipe caught my eye.  Bee Sting Cake.  I never heard of this cake before so I did what anybody else would do and googled it!  Most of the recipes I found included a layer of some kind of pudding mixture.  However, I am going to share with you the recipe from the above cookbook from Gooseberry Patch.  This recipe does not contain the cream mixture and claims it is a quicker version of the cake.  Let me state here that I love Gooseberry Patch cookbooks!  Now let's all watch a Bee make Bee Sting Cake!
 
Here are the ingredients for Bee Sting Cake...
 
 
2 eggs, beaten
 1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons Butter
 
First beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, flour, and baking powder together in a large bowl.  It should resemble this...
 
 
Next in a saucepan combine the butter and milk over medium heat.  Bring it to a boil.

 
Then pour the boiling milk and butter mixture in the egg mixture.  Mix together and pour into an 8x8 greased pan.  I didn't have an 8x8 pan available so I used a slightly larger glass dish but it still worked out well!

 
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
 
While that is baking lets make the topping mixture. Here are the ingredients...
 

1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar. packed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 
Beat all of the above ingredients together...

 
Then when the cake is done spread the mixture over the cake right away. 

 
 The next part of this recipe contains a word that makes me nervous. Broil.  I don't like that word.  I am always scared that even though the dish says "broiler safe" that it is going to explode.  Maybe someday I will get over this fear.  Anyway, I made sure Honey was home when I attempted to broil this cake!  Honey makes everything ok!
 
Broil until the top is nice and bubbly, and please, please make sure your dish is broiler safe!

 
Here is the finished product!  A nice piece of Bee Sting Cake.


Disclaimer: No Bees were harmed in the making of this cake.  In fact the recipe didn't even call for bees! What a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment