Thursday, July 25, 2013

Queen Bee Makes Blueberry Buckle

Honey surprised me with lots of fresh blueberries the other day.  I am using some in baking and some I have frozen for the kids.  Bumble and Stinger love frozen blueberries.  To freeze  blueberries I place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer.  After they are frozen I place them in freezer bags and put them back in the freezer.  This helps the blueberries to not stick together and they do not get mushy.  When Bumble and Stinger have a frozen blueberry craving I place some in cups and send them outside to eat them because when they are done they look like they could be members of the Blue Man Group!   
 
 One of the recipes I made using some of the fresh berries Honey bought was Blueberry Buckle.  I make this every year about this time. 
 
Here are the ingredients for the bottom layer...
 

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups blueberries

First cream together the butter, sugar, and egg...


Then add all of the dry ingredients alternatively with the milk.  Beat until smooth.


Then gently stir in the blueberries and set aside...


Now here are the ingredients for the crumb topping...

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
 
Mix all of the ingredients together until crumbly...


Then place the mixture we made first in a greased baking dish...


Then sprinkle the crumb topping on top...


Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 35 minutes and this is what you get...

 
Yummy!  I should buckle down and make this recipe more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment