Thursday, March 28, 2013

Stinger's New GFCF Diet

     Stinger is on a GFCF diet. This stands for food that is gluten free and casein free.  Gluten is a protein found in wheat and casein is a protein found in milk products.  I had removed milk from his diet about two months ago and now I have started him on a gluten free diet as well. 
     Finding foods with no milk/casein products in them wasn't that difficult.  I had to read a lot of labels and Stinger adjusted well to it.  This is now the milk he drinks and that I use to cook his food with if the recipe calls for milk...

 
      I found going both gluten free and casein free to be more difficult and overwhelming.  So overwhelming I didn't know where to start.  I became very frustrated.  Thankfully, I was informed of someone that could help me.  She lives less than a mile from my home and she has done this diet with her son back when gluten free products were not as popular as they are now.  I went with her to our local Giant grocery store (sorry Weis you are lacking in this area!) that has three aisles of nothing but gluten free and organic products.  She shared her knowledge of products with me and I will be indebted to her forever!!!  She put my mind at ease!  Her family's story is a must read and you can read at http://ethancenter.org/ethan/index.html.  She shared with me what products her son liked when he was young and what to substitute for things like butter and cheese.  Yes I bought vegan cheese! I can now make Stinger pancakes, spaghetti, and even rice krispie treats!   I am very thankful that Stinger loves his fruits and vegetables so I try to make that the bulk of his diet. However, it is so nice now to have snacks around that he can eat when fruits or veggies won't do. 
     The changes in Stinger the last couple of weeks have been amazing to watch.  I never knew how much food can effect the demeanor of a person.  It is like the fog is starting to lift and Stinger is now with us!  He has been more interative and even brought me a book yesterday to read to him.  I read the entire book and he stayed on my lap for more!! I will forever remember that moment.  Even Honey has noticed a big change as Stinger is a much happier little boy.  I have seen the exciting changes that eliminating milk has done.  Now we will wait and see if adding a gluten free diet to that will make any more wonderful changes!    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment