Saturday, March 16, 2013

Type A+

     In school I was the type of student that always needed to get A's. I liked my report card to say "AAAAAAA" when you looked down the list. If it said anything else, it upset me.  I am happy to report that all my report cards said "AAAAAA" up until 10th grade. 
     I had a certain teacher who shall remain nameless except his last name was another name for shy.  Some of you may know who I mean.  Anyway my report card that marking period had a foreign letter on it that I was not used to.  It read "AABAAA"!  How can this be?  You see Mr. Shy gave a test that marking period.  It was on the Caste System, India, and Hinduism.  I could have recited my notes word for word that day.  I thought I did fabulous on the test.  However Mr. Shy gave me a grade I was not accustom to.  A "C"!!!! I almost died! He thought my essays should have been more thorough. I thought he should have provided more paper!
     Mr. Shy also gave check marks for projects, not grades. I would get so mad when I would spend all weekend on a project and get the same check mark as someone who handed in a project that took them 10 minutes. Anyway, I received all A's in the other quizzes that marking period so I wasn't concerned that this "C" would affect my grade.   But it turns out Mr. Shy had a different way of figuring out a final grade than all the other teachers.  He would assign numbers to grades. If I remember correctly, an A was a 4, a B was a 3, a C was a 2, and a D was a 1.  Then he would divide by the number of grades there were.  My one lonely C brought me down to a B. However, if he would have figured it like any other teacher based on points, I would have had an A.
     Anyway, I write all this to tell you a funny story.  When I was pregnant with Bumble they had to check to see what blood type I was.  Honey told the nurse not to tell me if my blood test didn't come back as A+.  Well, guess what?  My bloodtype is A+ !  My need for perfection is in my blood!

No comments:

Post a Comment